Top 7 Common Termite Damage Signs
Do you know termites work 24 hours a day and never sleep? So, can you imagine how much damage they can cause in a few months or even weeks?
It’s definitely not a happy thought for property owners in Florida. According to Organic Pest Control Miami-Dade, it is necessary to take action the moment you notice signs of termite infestation. But what are the signs to look out for?
Termite Damage: Signs of Termites Infestation
There are two primary species of termites damage our homes: subterranean termites and dry wood termites. The subterranean species of termites make their nests underground, and this makes it very difficult to discover them before a large amount of damage has been done. The dry wood termites, on the other hand, live in the wood structures they infest.
- Mud tubes: These foraging tubes extend from the ground to the infested wood. They provide protection from predators and moist environment for the termites to survive. These tubes become more visible when they are above ground, but if they are built along the cracks, they can be hard to identify.
- Swarmers: Winged termites emerging from swarming tubes are a sure sign of subterranean infestation. A large number of discarded wings also indicate an infestation.
- Hollow wood: If you notice sagging floors or blistering wood, you have an infestation. These termites burrow through the wood leaving only a thin upper layer intact, which is why the damage is not very noticeable. Walk around or tap on wood to see if there is a hollow sound.
“Termites cause billions of dollars in damage each year. If not discovered on time, they can cause severe structural damage to your home. This can lower the value of a house, making it very difficult to resell the property.”
Dry wood termites
- Tapping noise: An audible tapping noise can be heard in heavily infested wood. The termites make this sound by tapping their mandibles (mouthparts) or heads against hollowed out wood to warn other termites of predators.
- Swarms: If you notice swarmers (winged termites), it is a sign of a much bigger infestation. Swarmers fly away from their nests to mate and establish another colony.
- Frass: Drywood termites push out their droppings (frass) from small holes near the entrance of their nests. Drywood termites’ frass looks like sawdust or coffee grounds.
- Jammed doors and windows: Difficult to open doors and windows can be a sign of termite infestation. You must tap on the window and door frames to see if they are hollowed out by dry wood termites.
“If you notice sagging floors or blistering wood, you have an infestation. These termites burrow through the wood leaving only a thin upper layer intact, which is why the damage is not very noticeable. “
Termite Damage: Act Quickly!
While these signs are a good indication of termite infestation, it is always better to get your house checked by a professional pest control service like Organic Pest Control Miami-Dade. Here are some of the reasons why you must treat a termite infestation as soon as you see the first warning signs:
- Though termites are generally not considered a health hazard, some people may get an allergic reaction or suffer from asthma attacks due to these wood-eating insects.
- They cause billions of dollars in damage each year. If not discovered on time, they can cause severe structural damage to your home. This can lower the value of a house, making it very difficult to resell the property.
- These pesky insects are also known to damage trees. Termites can cause damage to your garden as well.
“While these signs are a good indication of termite infestation, it is always better to get your house checked by a professional pest control service.”
Termite Damage: Call Us Today
So, to prevent further damage to your home, you must get termite infestation removal done as soon as possible. Our Organic Pest Control Miami-Dade technicians are the best service providers in Miami-Dade County. Our termite control Miami-Dade County services are a three-step process: Inspection, assessment, and treatment.
Our termite control Miami-Dade exterminators are experienced and well-trained to carry out a comprehensive inspection of your home. We have the best exterminator Miami-Dade has.